More hugs and kisses, more laundry, more dishes!




Friday, May 2, 2008

Katie chimes in (finally)

Hi it's Katie finally.. I haven't been able to say much because mom doesn't tell me when she's doing it and I don't want to hog the computer lol.
Anyways..
I don't know how much mom has said about here about what we've done and whatnot.. But I really like it here. We've been in the city.. I don't know what you picture in your head when you think about an African city, and it's hard to describe. There are soo many people, and they are still very traditional. I've been waking up at about 4:00 every morning, and for about an hour it's perfectly quiet. Then at exactly 5:00, someone in the distance yells a wake up call, and people begin to rise and leave thier houses, some nicely hidden by tall fences, some made of corregated metal, tarp and scraps, and they walk down the dirt road, some to work, some to school, some to beg on the street. I watch them walk by and wonder where they're going. The women are beautifully wrapped in shawls and scarves, the men with more official jobs wear button up shirts, others in outlandish jackets. As the sun begins to rise there is chanting in the distance, a song that carries through the early morning. It's a beautiful thing.
Today is our fifth day, and I've only today realized just how many of the thousands and thousands of people we pass as we drive down the chaotic streets each day are beggars. There are so many. I don't think I'm going to come home with any money at all..We've had the kids for three days now, and they're settling in and getting into trouble :) Abebech is such a 2 year old, and Mamo is the coolest kid ever. I'm glad I'm taking them home with me. :)
The time we've had at the orphanage so far has been wonderful. Those kids are the sweetest. They all want love and attention, which I try to give as much as I can. I know almost every one of them by name now, and I wish I could spend more time there. I'm glad most of them have families waiting to adopt them.
Anyways, maybe I'll have time to say more later, about goat heads on the street and such, but I think there are people waiting to use the computer, they keep looking at me funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie and Kim,

I tried to leave a comment a few days ago but it didn't show up so, I'll try again.

I have loved reading about your trip. Each morning I log on to see what's going on with you all. Realized this morning, Sat., I'm really missing you all and can't imagine how your family feels. Wed. Hannah was needing some extra cuddling so I know she's ready for you all to be home.

Praying for your safety in traveling and return.

Pam W.

Anonymous said...

pictures that you try and paint in our heads...i do wish we could see for ourselves so it wouldn't seem so distant to us.. i was talking to nathan last night till 4 30 in the morning about how we take so much for granted.. so much.. and still decide to say no to God..i'm still praying for you.
-david