More hugs and kisses, more laundry, more dishes!




Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Teferra to the rescue


Today was our embassy appointment. All went smoothly and it was very busy (and HOT!)because tomorrow is a holiday and all those scheduled to appear tomorrow were moved today. I am grateful for Teferra (the ethiopian lawyer) because is seemed as though our visa was not going to come in on time on Friday for us to apply for the German transit visa. When I told him of the issue he marched right back up into that room full of people and pulled some strings to get our childrens visas processed 3 hour later today (the same day) Halleleujah!!!

Travelling by car is interesting and scary at the same time. There are few stoplights and no rules, totally offensive driving. One honk for "im coming, get out of the way" two honks for "im coming through anyway". There are no seatbelts are carseats and I have held my breath many times as our driver has squeezed between two moving vehicles at speed limit with only inches to spare. I trust him though, every one drives like this and he drives everyday. Ethiopia is the home of the Toyota Corolla. At least 1/3. I have see several every day, just like the blue one we used to drive..... funny.

The children are doing well and are begining to bond enough with us to begin to "test the water" Abi needs to always make sure I will pick her up when she asks, and calls "Mommy Nay" which means mommy come, whenever she cant see me. Mamo is sooo funny and is very curious about everything. He loves electronics and when we arent looking takes the batteries out of everything and then hides the item from us when he cant figure out how to get it all back together. They seem to have taught us more Amharic than we have taught them english at this point. Its a good thing because they babble to each other constantly and occasionally laugh at us. It is funny!

3 comments:

Chris said...

dear Kim .
I really enjoy your updates:)
Glad that everyone is doing great .
16 more days for me and I will be there :)YAY Can't wait
Enjoy the rest of you rtrip . We are thinking and prayiong for you .
Chris

Charlotte said...

KIm,

If you get to go the nun's orphanage can you take some pics of Selamawit for me, she is currently on hold for til I am for sure I can convince my sw to let me adopt up to her age ! And if you do go take some pics, see if she will tell you her age ! Don't tell her anything yet, but between you and me give my daughter a hug from her new mommy !!!

Charlotte
raeghansmom@yahoo.com
www.waitingforrayne.blogspot.com

Chris said...

Kim,
Wow, what an adventure! I am so glad all is well. What a blessing to have your daughter there with you. Your two new additions are precious and sound very entertaining!! Have a wonderful and safe trip home. You are in our thoughts and prayers!!
Christine